Property Tax Sale
Kootenai County holds a "live" auction once a year at the Kootenai County Administration Building, located at
451 N Government Way in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The 2020 auction was held Wednesday October 7, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. Please be aware a secondary auction may be held whenever the Board of County Commissioners deems necessary to dispose of any unresolved properties from the prior tax sale or properties deemed surplus.
The sales will be advertised in the Coeur d'Alene Press Newspaper two weeks prior to any additional auction. The auction list will also be available at the County Treasurer's Office and the front office of the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) once approved by the Board of Commissioners.
Please continue reading below concerning changes made to the auction process due to COVID-19. Changes are identified below in RED.
Participating in the Auction
Rules and guidelines for the auction are:
- Pre-registration for the tax sale is not required; anyone may attend.
- Interested parties (or their representative) must attend the auction to bid.
- Immediately following the auction, the winning bidder is to pay by CASHIER'S CHECK ONLY, payable to "Kootenai County Treasurer" a NONREFUNDABLE deposit in the amount of the minimum bid, with the entire balance to be paid by CASHIER'S CHECK ONLY no later than 3:30 PM on the auction day.
- Kootenai County does not offer a financing program.
- Should any parcel not sell at Auction, the Board of County Commissioners will accept sealed written bids for purchase consideration. Please submit all written bids directly to the Kootenai County Board of County Commissioners for purchase consideration. The BOCC may sell the property, without further notice by public or private sale upon such terms and conditions, as the County deems necessary.
BOCC Reserves the Right
The BOCC reserves the right to reject any and all written bids or accept any written bid which may be made.
- The document issued is a County Deed; Idaho does not have tax lien certificates. Any sale made by the Board of County Commissioners of property acquired through tax deed shall vest in the purchaser absolute title to the land described therein, free from all encumbrances except mortgages of record to the holders of which notice has not been sent, any lien for property taxes which may have attached subsequent to the assessment, and any lien for special assessments (Idaho Code § 63-1009 and Idaho Code § 63-1005).
- The parcels being offered at the sale can be redeemed at any time prior to the start of the sale for that parcel. Only the people with redemption rights can redeem. After that, there is no right of redemption.
- You may access the Results of the last Auction list here (PDF).
- You may access the Prior Properties offered at Tax Sales and still unsold online (PDF) here.
- You may access the Surplus Funds List (PDF) here.
- You may access the Surplus Funds Claim Form (PDF) here.
- Per the business meeting held Tuesday April 2, 2019, the Kootenai County Board of County Commissioners has approved the transfer of outstanding surplus funds from tax deed auctions to the Idaho State Treasurer in accordance with Idaho Code 31-808. The State Treasurer shall keep and distribute the proceeds in accordance with Idaho Code 14-5. For information on surplus funds and claims, please contact the Idaho State Treasurer.
- If you find a parcel you are interested in, we strongly suggest contacting a local Title Company to answer your questions regarding title or legal description.
Parcels are sold "AS IS". There is no guarantee as to access, building or septic permits.