Treasurer’s Office Open By Appointment Only
November 9, 2020 – County Treasurer Steve Matheson has announced that, effective immediately, the Treasurer’s Office will be open by appointment only. “This morning we were made aware of a positive COVID case within our office”, said Mr. Matheson. “As a result, our staff will be temporarily reduced as we respond in accordance with CDC and health district guidelines.
Tax statements are scheduled to be mailed out before Thanksgiving and this service adjustment is not expected to affect that process.
Appointments can be made by calling the Treasurer’s Office at (208) 446-1005 or by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The office is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. A payment drop box is also available outside the office door.
Steve Matheson is your Kootenai County Treasurer. He was elected as Treasurer on November 4, 2014. One of the primary goals of the Treasurer's office is to continue to enhance the excellent customer service that has been established.
The Treasurer's office has 3 primary functions for Kootenai County. They are:
- Treasurer: The responsibility as a Treasurer is to ensure all monies received by Kootenai County are deposited and accounted for in a timely manner. The Treasurer is also responsible for investing idle funds and ensuring there is adequate money available to meet the county's financial obligations.
- Tax Collector: As the tax collector, it is the Treasurer's responsibility to collect the taxes on real and personal property, on harvested timber, and the certification of special assessments for water districts, fire protection districts, and local improvement districts.
- Public Administrator:The Treasurer is also appointed as the Public Administrator in the following situations:
- Estates ordered because the State of Idaho is the heir
- The estates where there is no known heir
- For the estates where no personal representative is appointed