Marriage License Applicants:
At this time, the Kootenai County Jail is not allowing marriage ceremonies to be performed in the jail. Therefore, the Recorder's Office is not visiting the jail for marriage license purposes.
Please complete the online marriage application BEFORE visiting the Recorder’s Office. (Marriage Application):
- Applicants 18 years of age and older must:
- Appear together in our office
- Be getting married in the state of Idaho
- Present payment in cash or card
- Credit/Debit Card: $32.93
- Have knowledge of United States social security number
- Present government issued, photo identification
- Photo identification can be expired as long as the picture is of good likeness of the applicant.
- View requirements for applicants 17 and under (PDF)
Once the marriage license is issued, the couple will present it to the officiant of their choosing so they may perform a wedding ceremony. In Idaho, the marriage license has no expiration date, witnesses are not required, and there is no waiting period. You and your officiant do not need to be Idaho residents, but your ceremony must take place in the State of Idaho
Additional Requirements for Non U.S. Residents
Non U.S. residents must bring photo identification from the country in which he or she currently resides. They must also visit the U.S. Social Security Office to obtain a letter verifying the status of their social security. The identification and letter must be presented to the recording clerk at the time of marriage application.
Performing a Marriage Ceremony in Kootenai County
You are not required to be an Idaho resident if you are performing a wedding ceremony in the state. View further instructions (PDF).
Correcting an Already Issued Marriage License
If there is incorrect information on your marriage license, please submit a signed and notarized Affidavit of Correction (PDF) to our office by mail or in person.