Registration & Voting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be 18 years of age by Election Day
- Must be a legal resident of Idaho and County 30 days prior to an election
- Must not have any legal disqualifications
You must re-register if you move or change your name.
You may register at the Elections Department or online at the Vote Idaho Website
Registration cards are also available at:
- Any City Hall in the County
- The DMV
451 N Government Way
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814
Cards may be returned to the Elections Department or mailed to:
Kootenai County Elections
P.O. Box 9000
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83816
To avoid delay be sure to fill in all the boxes on the Registration card completely. Registration cards received via fax or email will not be accepted. Registration cards must be post marked 24 days before an election when registration closes. After the close of registration, you may register and vote on the same day.
If this is your first time registering to vote in Kootenai County, or if your registration has lapsed, please include proof of residency (as described below) if mailing in your registration card.
Military or Living Overseas
- For information on UOCAVA (Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act) or how to register to vote under these guidelines.
Election Day Registration
Election Day registration is permitted at your polling place on Election Day as well as the Elections Department during Early Voting. Proper photo identification and dated proof of residence is required.
Proof of Residency
To register and vote you must have lived in Kootenai County for at least 30 days
Proof of Residence
Idaho Driver's License or Idaho Identification Card
- With current address where you live
- Issued at least 30 days before today's date
A Document and Photo Identification
- Document with
- Current address where you live
- Your name
- A date 30 days before today's date
- And a government issued photo Identification
- Auto registration
- Bank statement
- Credit card statement
- Rental agreement or mortgage statement
- Report Card
- Utility bill
- Driver's License from Idaho or another state
- School identification card
- Must be a registered voter.
- Must vote at your designated Polling place that is determined by your residence address. Find your polling place.
- Must show photo identification or sign a Personal Identity Affidavit. View acceptable forms of photo identification.
- Polling places are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
In accordance with the Help America Vote Act of 2002, each of Kootenai County's polling places includes accessible:
- Parking spaces
- Voting areas
A ballot marking device (Express Vote) is available:
- At every polling place during State and Federal Elections (Even Years)
- At the County Elections Department during Early Voting for all Elections.