Attention Community Development Customers:

May 4, 2020 - In accordance with Governor Little’s statewide guidelines for opening up Idaho, Community Development will be open to the public on a limited basis and by appointment only. For those that we cannot accommodate by appointment, we will continue to conduct work by email and telephone. (Most services remain available through telephone or email communications.) We will also continue to accept and perform inspections that are scheduled either by phone or through this website. Site disturbance and building permit applications must be submitted electronically through the ETRAKIT system; a link is available here. Payments can be made over the phone or by mail. Requested building site inspections are being performed as usual. If you have any questions, please email or call (208) 446-1070.

Image of blueprints upcloseClick here to view a draft copy of the 2021 Building Code Ordinance Amendments - Draft 1 (PDF)

The Building Division of Community Development issues building permits for the construction of:

  • Commercial storage buildings over 120 square feet
  • Commercial structures
  • Decks
  • Fences over seven feet tall
  • Garages
  • Pole barns
  • Re-roofing
  • Residential storage buildings over 200 square feet
  • Single and Multi-Family Dwellings

If you have any questions as to if your project requires a Building Permit, please contact us. Permits are also required prior to engaging in site disturbance activities such as grading, excavating and storm drainage or run-off control. (If a community water system is affected by site disturbance, inquiries are addressed to the Department of Environmental Quality.)


The Building Division has jurisdiction over structures erected within the County, not within City limits. Setting a mobile home on real property or converting a mobile home to real property also requires a permit from the Building Department. 

Structures are required to meet the regulations of the International Building Code, the International Residential Code, and the International Energy Conservation Code, which is enforced by building inspectors. 

State inspectors (208-769-1579) do plumbing and electrical inspections. Questions regarding water quality issues or septic systems should be directed to Panhandle Health. Questions concerning site access should be addressed to the Highway District and Fire District with jurisdiction.