What should I bring when registering for my vehicle registration and title?

  • Bring the vehicle you want to title and register.
    You will need to have the vehicle identification number (VIN) inspected. This inspection can generally be performed by a deputy of either the Department of Motor Vehicles (Assessor's Office) or by a law enforcement agency. All Idaho dealers or law enforcement agencies can do Vehicle Identification Number inspections.
  • Bring the vehicle's current title and registration.
    If the vehicle has not been titled in your name, be sure the title has been signed over to you by the seller and that you have a bill of sale from the seller. If a lien holder holds the title, bring the lien holder's name and address. If your title has been lost, you will need to apply for a duplicate title from the state of issuance.
  • Bring your personal identification.
    This could be a driver's license, identification card, etc.
  • Bring cash or a check associated with a local bank for payment of the applicable taxes and fees.
  • Late Filing Penalty
    A $20 late filing penalty can be charged if you do not have a title in your name and you have been living in Idaho for 120 days. The late filing penalty applies to any Idaho resident who does not apply for title within 30 days of the purchase of either a titled vehicle or a titled vessel.
  • County Fees
    For other fees Kootenai County may charge, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles.

For more information, contact the either the Coeur d'Alene or Post Falls Vehicle Licensing Office.

Show All Answers

1. Do you do Driver's Licenses?
2. I just bought a car from a private party, how can I get it registered?
3. I’m moving here from out of state, what do I need to register my car?
4. I’ve made an appointment for the DMV but don’t remember when it is?
5. I have an appointment because I just bought a car, what do I need?
6. My tags expired and I can’t get in right away what can I do?
7. I don’t have the QLESS app, how can I make an appointment?
8. I sent off my tabs to be renewed by mail, how can I check their status?
9. I’m trying to renew my off highway atv/utv stickers, snowmobile registration, and/or boat registration where do I go?
10. Where do I go to register and title my vehicle in Idaho?
11. What are the office hours for motor vehicle licensing?
12. Which vehicles must be registered and titled in Idaho?
13. What should I bring when registering for my vehicle registration and title?
14. What if I am still making payments on my out of state vehicle?
15. Where can I get more information about vehicle titling and licensing?