If I do not have much knowledge about timber management, how can I learn about it?
  • There are numerous agencies and programs that are available and funded for educating private landowners on timber issues. We recommend you investigate what they have to offer.
  • Probably the best source for getting information is the University of Idaho Kootenai County Extension office. They actually present most of the educational programs for nominal fees. In particular, they instruct an excellent course for old and new timberland owners called "Forestry Shortcourse&Quot; which introduces individuals to forest management practices, terminology, species identification, proven silvicultural treatments, logging practices, pre and commercial treatments and assists the landowner with a needs assessment for preparing and justifying a plan of action with goals and objectives to reach future results (management plan). It is six three-hour sessions one night a week over six weeks for $30 plus. Cheap!
  • Other organizations to check out will be the Idaho Forest Owners Association. They are a non-profit group that is a voice for the private timberland owners in Legislature. They also sponsor timberland management educational programs. The Tree Farm Association is a non-profit group that supplies support and reviews management needs on private forests. They will identify what work is needed and the timeframe to complete both commercial and non commercial activities to certify the property into the program. The Tree Farm Association requires a minimum ownership of 10 acres. Both of these have minor annual fees.
  • There are also cost share programs to assist landowners in their management endeavors. Some have been previously mentioned. The best place to find information on these is the Idaho State Department of Lands. These are government funded programs that help private owners with defraying some of the cost involved in timber management, mainly non-commercial activities.

For more information, contact us at 208-446-1526.

Show All Answers

1. How do I qualify lands for the timber program, and when?
2. What does contiguous parcels or acres mean?
3. What is entailed in the application? And how often do we need to apply?
4. What is the difference between the Land Productivity and Bare Land and Yield timber options?
5. What is needed in a Management Plan and who can prepare it?
6. What if I just want to let my land grow "natural"?
7. What if I'm not able to do any work and cannot afford to hire assistance to prepare a management plan?
8. Can I build a house on my timberland without losing the timber classification?
9. If I do not have much knowledge about timber management, how can I learn about it?