Athol First known as Colton, the town was renamed Athol by a settler who came from Athol, Massachusetts.
This logging, fishing, and limestone mining community was first known as Squaw Bay. After 1900 the name was changed to Bayview.
he town is named for Father Joseph Cataldo, SJ, who served at the Old Mission from 1865 to 1870. Patrick J. Whalen, the first homesteader in this area, platted the town of Cataldo.
The French name Coeur d'Alene can be traced back to the early 1800s when David Thompson, of the North West Trading Company (a fur-trading concern), encountered French speaking Iroquois Indians already living here. Since the Iroquois were familiar with the area, he hired them as guides and scouts.
The City of Dalton Gardens was incorporated in 1960 and includes the area from Prairie Avenue south to Dalton Avenue and from Government Way to 17th Street.
The Crane family first settled here in 1890. Incorporated in 1899, Harrison is located on a one-mile strip carved out of the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation by a bill signed by President Harrison on the night of March 4, 1891.
Hayden & Hayden Lake
Rich with game, fish, and berries, Hayden Lake was a favorite gathering place for the Coeur d'Alene Tribe.
Once the site of the Coeur d'Alene Indian village Q emiln ("throat of the river"), the town of Post Falls grew from the early commercial lumbering efforts of German immigrant, Frederick Post.
Rose Creek and Rose Lake were named by a family who homesteaded on Cougar Creek, for their daughter Rose Brown.
In 1881 Rathdrum became the first organized county seat of Kootenai County and remained so until the county seat was moved to Coeur d'Alene in 1908.
The name for the Spirit Lake community was derived from a Native American legend that explains the Salish name tesemini ("Lake of the Spirits").
Worley, platted in 1908, was named after Charles Worley, the first Indian Agent.