Will the Public Defender represent me in a civil case?

The Court can appoint the Public Defender’s Office to represent indigent persons involved in mental commitment proceedings, child protection matters, termination of parental rights, and allegations of contempt of a civil judgment. Additionally, the office is sometimes appointed to represent those in post-conviction proceedings.

If you are being sued civilly, have immigration problems, are being evicted from your home, have a worker’s compensation claim, want a divorce, etc., you may qualify for assistance from other agencies. We do not handle those types of cases. Possible agencies include:

  • Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program
  • Idaho State Bar Lawyer Referral Service
  • Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc.
  • Fair Lending/Fair Housing Legal Advice Line
  • American Civil Liberties Union
  • Idaho Commission on Human Rights
  • Disability Rights Idaho

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for an attorney?
2. Will the Public Defender represent me in a civil case?
3. What are the charges for which I can be represented by a Kootenai County Public Defender?
4. Can I speak to a Public Defender if I have not been appointed by the Court?
5. Are Public Defenders real lawyers?
6. Does the Office of the Public Defender have Investigators?
7. Your Rights
8. Who is my assigned attorney?
9. When is my hearing?
10. What should I do if a friend/family member has been arrested?
11. Can I speak with my friend/family member’s Public Defender?
12. When will a Judge set bail?